Public images on Docker Hub are free. They limit your pulls but I don't
think the limits are anywhere near restrictive enough to limit Thrift
builds.

> rate *limits* of 100 container *image* requests per six hours for
anonymous usage, and 200 container *image* requests per six hours for free
*Docker* accounts

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 6:29 AM Mario Emmenlauer <ma...@emmenlauer.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 02.03.21 15:14, Allen George wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > Re: the blogpost on the paid subscription for Travis - is it still valid
> > today? If so - that's great to hear.
> >
> > Re: reinstalling deps from scratch. You're right Mario - that does
> happen.
> > Seems like the guidance is to have the first stage build a temporary
> docker
> > container that has all the deps, and have following stages pull down that
> > container and use it for their tasks. Travis doesn't have a docker cache,
> > however, so we'd need something like docker hub. Does the ASF have a
> docker
> > hub subscription? Did someone else take a look at doing this in the past?
>
> Yep, this would work, or there could be a dedicated branch that builds the
> docker images. I personally use a dedicated branch that I trigger only
> every
> once a month or so. The benefit is that the "current latest" docker images
> keep on working until new docker images (from the branch) become available.
> So if an upstream remote is temporarily down for a few weeks, it will only
> break the dedicated docker build and zero of our own pipelines.
>
> My own mileage for this concept is pretty good, as long as someone will
> every now and then actually do update dependencies.
>
> I tried to implement this for Thrift but stopped because I did not know
> where to put the images :-(
>
> Cheers,
>
>     Mario
>

> > Thanks,
> > Allen
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 3:38 AM Duru Can Celasun <dcela...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Keep in mind that the ASF has a paid subscription [1] to Travis, so we
> are
> >> not limited to the open source plan.
> >>
> >> [1]
> https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/apache_gains_additional_travis_ci

> like
> >> realized
> >> use 500
> >> tell,

> that
> installing
> downloads
> upstream

> biodataanalysis.de
> http://www.biodataanalysis.de/
> >>>

> Viele Gruesse,
>
>     Mario Emmenlauer
>

> --
> BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
> Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de
> D-81669 München                          http://www.biodataanalysis.de/

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, llcrandy.aberne...@rx-m.com