So I looked into the first problem a bit because I was also annoyed by the
excessive logging. This is what I found:

The excessive logging itself seems to be caused by
https://github.com/apache/thrift/commit/0aa108fe1ab921ef0371bcfffd3edfa8bea2cdc7.
But that's not the root cause. It just makes the logs more noisy when the
tests failed.

The root cause that caused the cross-tests involving ssl and java client to
fail seems to be an OpenJDK bug: https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8221218
.

I'm not familiar with Java enough to know if there's an easy way to walk
around that OpenJDK bug. Someone more familiar might have better ideas.

I also noticed that besides java clients, erlang clients with ssl
cross-tests are also mostly failing. So it might be some issue in the
certificate we used in ssl tests that triggered the bug?