On Fri, 20 May 2011, Jukka Zitting wrote:
There are a few odds and ends that I'd still like to sort out in the trunk, but overall I think we're in a pretty much ready for the switch from 0.x to 1.x.

I'd like to get an updated POI release in first, along with the few patches that are waiting for it. I'll see if I can get a release vote for that going in the next few days.

One major issue to be decided is whether we want to follow up with the earlier intention of dropping deprecated functionality (like the three-argument parse() method) before the 1.0 release. I think we should do that and also make some other backwards-incompatible cleanups while we're at it. That way we'll have less old baggage to carry as we evolve through the 1.x release cycle.

I'm tempted to say we do what Lucene does, and do two releases. The 1.0 would ditch the deprecated bits, and the (say) 0.9.9 would still have them. Not sure if we have enough changes and users to warrant that though?

Another thing to think about is whether we want to do a formal Apache
press release about Tika reaching 1.0 status.

I'd say yes. Sally's the one to ask about this. Since you've got all the blurb about Tika ready from the book, is this something you or Chris could take the lead on? We'd probably need to give her a rough draft now, a final draft when the vote starts, and it'd go out when the release hits the mirrors

Nick