Hi Tyler,

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 8:55 AM, <dev-digest-h...@tika.apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks, Tim! I'm more of an IntelliJ guy myself. IDEA has a feature where
> you can check out a project directly from Subversion, which works pretty
> well.

Eclipse also has this feature. Just for the heads up.

> The `mvn test -DfailIfNoTests=false -Dtest=org.apache.tika.{...}` command
> is very helpful with testing. :)

+1

> Is there a good way to run the current
> setup without JUnit, though (with just a basic main method)? Build the jar
> and run from there?

Tika uses JUnit as the testing suite as it is extremely well recognized and
very easy to use.
When you build your project with Maven e.g. package, test, install etc.
targets all of your artifacts will be generated and available in the
$TIKA_HOME/$MODULE/target directory by default.
Maven will do a lot of the lifting for you so you don't need to run any
main methods to invoke the build.
If you are developing on top of the current toolkit (which i think you are)
then i would suggest that you look at the following tickets... these can
get you going and will enable you to navigate a number of modules within
the toolkit.

Documentation
TIKA-1158 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1158>
TIKA-411 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-411> (this
contribution would be great)

Parser
TIKA-959 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-959>

Metadata
TIKA-1082 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1082>

These are just come issues which you can approach as 'low hanging fruit'.
Once you get to grips with the modules and the build layout it will be
easier to approach issues.
Thanks
Lewis