On Mon, 14 Jul 2014, Matthias Krueger wrote:
a guideline on how to handle existing code that does not adhere to 4 spaces would be helpful.

TIKA-44 says all code was converted, so clearly this can't happen... ;-)

When submitting a patch/pull request should I include a commit reformatting the rest of the class if that's not indented with 4 spaces?

I'd suggest one patch to fix up the code to the normal standards, but with zero logic changes (hopefully an easy review/apply), then a second on top of that to make the required changes.

Nick