Hey Nick,

Git has something similar to svn:externals:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/571232/svnexternals-equivalent-in-git

I’ve seen both used in the same way. Also the examples site code
is something we could always gin up a script solution to and isn’t
a blocker by any means - it’s a smallish portion of the overall
process and even if it had to be done by hand it’s something we don’t
do often enough for it to be a real burden. I can speak from experience
having done most or all of Tika’s releases.

As to the discussions of what’s going on with Git/Github/version
control, etc., the use of writeable Git repositories at the ASF
has been sanctioned and used pervasively for years. That Git/Github
/version control *policy* discussion is pretty independent of using
the ASF’s own sanctioned writeable git repos on ASF hardware, which
is all I’m proposing to do. AKA I’m proposing we move Tika’s
canonical repo from:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tika/

TO:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/tika.git

Infra has put policies (temporarily) in place to deal with any of
the branching issues that have shown up etc. So there is already
enforcement and so on. And like I said, the ASF has allowed writeable
Git repos for many years now.

Finally it seems like there is good support so far for this, so
I’ll keep collecting feedback before calling an official vote maybe
in the next few days. I’m really hoping there is really no big
difference other than replacing svn co with git clone and replacing
svn commit with git commit && git push in most places. One last note:
many of the “issues” brought up on other projects or being discussed
at a Foundation policy level are issues e.g., with the Incubator,
some with newer (ish) TLPs that have arisen over the past few years
and that are pushing the boundaries on how to use Git in ways that
are forcing the foundation to ask questions at its core policy
levels. That discussion is ongoing. Tika has been around since 2007,
includes a strong set of ASF members, has seen the version control
debates over the years and long since survived them, etc. I see no
evidence and an extremely low probability that we will use writeable
ASF git repos in any such way that drives the policy at the foundation
level in the same way.

Instead, I see pretty boring use of Git writeable repos to become
more consistent with the way it seems like more and more of us are
doing development (even today with Tika).

HTH.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.