Lewis,
  Thank you for getting the ball rolling on this.  I think it would be
great to have semi-regular meetings of devs and/or community outreach.
For example, I'd like to host an outreachy, tika-eval deep dive for
[1].  I can think of a few other outreachy topics, especially around
migrating to 2.x.
  Any objections if I started a Meetup group?  Did we ever settle on a platform?

     Cheers,

            Tim

[1] https://www.dpconline.org/events/world-digital-preservation-day