On 2016-07-15 14:44 (+0100), Robert Dale <robd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks to me like a self-inflicted problem because the things that
> are typed are already native to json so it's redundant.  And to go a
> step further, I wouldn't consider the types to be 'correct' because
> everything that is a HashMap is really a Vertex, Edge, or Property.
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:03 AM, gallardo.kev...@gmail.com
> <gallardo.kev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 2016-07-13 13:17 (+0100), Robert Dale <robd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Marko, I agree that empty object properties should not be represented.
> >> I think if you saw that in an example then it was probably for
> >> demonstration purposes.
> >>
> >> Kevin, can you expand on this comment:

> >> What exactly are the inconsistencies?  What is the problem in
> >> determining an array or object?
> >> This is a natural JSON array (or list): []
> >> This is a natural JSON object: {}
> >>
> >> Type at the object level is a common pattern and supported feature of
> >> Jackson.  Also, GeoJSON would be a natural fit as it also stores
> >> 'type' at the object level. Titan supports GeoJSON currently.  I
> >> wonder if it would make sense to promote geometry to gremlin.
> >>

> > I wasn't probably clear enough, in my first email exposing my motivation to
> > improve GraphSON 1.0, one of the things I noticed was that according to the
> > enclosing element (either an Array or a Map), a type will either be
> > described as (respectively) an element of the Array, or a key/value pair in
> > a Map, you can see that in the "embedded types" example of the Tinkerpop
> > docs :
> > http://tinkerpop.apache.org/docs/current/reference/#graphson-reader-writer .
> >
> > There you can see that the type "java.util.ArrayList" is a simple element
> > of the enclosing array, but the "java.util.HashMap" type is a field of the
> > enclosing Map as {"@class" : "java.util.HashMap", ...}. This does not seem
> > consistent to me and even though I know that Jackson handles it well, it
> > seems that we'd better provide a consistent enclosing format that we know
> > is fixed whatever the enclosed data is, to make the automatic type
> > detection for other parsers in other libraries/languages easier. Does that
> > make sense ?
> >
> >> We should probably start documenting a table of supported types. (If
> >> there is one, please provide link)
> >>
> >> I wonder if it even makes sense to type numbers according to their
> >> memory model. As objects, Byte, Short, and Integer occupy the same
> >> space. Long isn't much more.  So in Java we're not saving much space.
> >> Jackson will attempt to parse in order: int, long, BigInt, BigDecimal.
> >> The JSON JSR uses only BigDecimal. Some non-jvm languages don't even
> >> have this concept.  Does anything in gremlin actually require this?
> >> I'm thinking that this is only going to be relevant at the domain
> >> model level. This way json native numbers can be used and not need
> >> typing.
> >>
> >> Additionally, I think that all things that will be typed should always
> [...]
However, I don't manage to understand the structure behind the format you
suggest, and I don't manage to establish a clear explicit representation in my
mind, regarding the example you provided in the TP-1274 PR. Could you please
give an example of how you would imagine the serialized JSON of :
- an example list of typed values, like List<UUID>
- an example list of typed and untyped values, like a list with UUIDs and
booleans
- an example map of typed and untyped values

How would you define that format in a general way ? Like what I did when saying
"- untyped : value
- typed : {"@type", "typeName", "value" : value}"

Just trying your point better.
Also what are the downsides you see with the format suggested above ?