I went with the most obvious implementation place for CloseableIterator. If
you see other spots where you could make an argument that it would make
sense to add it then feel free to offer a pull request and we can get it
reviewed. I didn't look into your VertexStep suggestion too deeply, but a
quick review seems to have me thinking that it would make sense to do that.
Basically anywhere that a step interacts with the structure API seems like
it would be a candidate for CloseableIterator to be implemented as it is in
GraphStep.