Github user mattallenuk commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/pull/889

    @spmallette you may be able to help me with this. I'm trying to understand
the SASL authentication process looking at how the Java code handles it
(https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/blob/tp33/gremlin-driver/src/main/java/org/apache/tinkerpop/gremlin/driver/Handler.java#L88-L110).
 In my code, I haven't pushed it yet, I am receiving from the server the 407
authorisation required request and I am sending an initial message containing {
saslMechanism: "PLAIN" } but the response I get back is authentication failed.
Is there something that I'm missing? Am I right in that I should be sending
that message then wait for the initial response and send the sasl
authentication message? I know that currently only PLAIN mechanism is accepted
and I can send that without declaring what mechanism I'm sending, but I'm
trying to make the code future-proof for when other authentication drivers and
sasl mechanisms are supported. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

---