Great idea Stephen. I agree with standardizing the explicit transaction
semantics in cases of remote server (implicit aka sessionless is already
self explanatory) and unifying the syntax with embedded graph usage.

Couple of notes:

1. I would favor the begin() instead of create() as it's closer to
universally prominent SQL transaction syntax. This would reduce the
learning curve for users of TP.

2. From an implementation standpoint, sessionless requests are queued on
the server side and are serviced by the worker thread pool. But a
session-ful aka explicit transaction aka managed transaction starts a new
single worked thread pool every time. In a scenario where we have both
session-less and sesion-ful requests being made to the server, the resource
allocation will not be fair and may lead to starvation for some requests.
This problem exists even today, hence not totally correlated to what you
are proposing but I am afraid a wider adoption of explicit
transactions will bring this problem to the spotlight. Hence, we should fix
this problem first. A solution would entail converging the worker pool for
both session vs session-less requests.

3. You are proposing the idea of having a transaction scoped traversal
object. I agree with it but we need more clarification in behavior wrt the
following scenarios:

Q. What happens when g.tx().commit() is called on a transaction scoped
traversal object? Does the traversal get closed?
Q. Currently, the same traversal object could be used to execute multiple
session-less requests simultaneously in a thread safe manner. Does the same
behaviour apply to transaction scoped traversal? If not, then how do I send
multiple requests in parallel from the client all scoped to the same
transaction on the server? Note that this is different from case of multi
threaded transactions because on the server all requests are scoped to
single transaction i.e. single thread but on the client they may be
submitted via multiple threads.

Regards,
Divij Vaidya