Henri Gomez wrote:
Just take a look at the AJP protocol documentation :

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/common/ajpv13a.html

Packets sent from the server to the container begin with 0x1234.
Packets sent from the container to the server begin with AB (that's
the ASCII code for A followed by the ASCII code for B). After those
first two bytes, there is an integer (encoded as above) with the
length of the payload. Although this might suggest that the maximum
payload could be as large as 2^16, in fact, the code sets the maximum
to be 8K.

So to support more than 64k bytes, we should have a whole new code on
Apache and Tomcat side and break compatibility with all current
implementations. And that's bad ;(
We recently saw a customer run into this limitation in that all of their headers, etc, would not fit in the first 8K.

Waiting for a new AJP version sounds like a non-starter. Can we just have something like a JkOption that allows one to explicitly opt into this arrangement? Address this for mod_jk and Tomcat and one is done for now (though a mod_proxy_ajp shouldn't be far behind).
Take a look at the AJP13 extension proposal :

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/common/ajpv13ext.html

We could plug many usefull informations in LOGIN INIT for example !
These proposals all look interesting. The problem is that there are lots of proposals and this would seem to inevitably take quite some time to stabilize all of this in mod_jk, mod_proxy_ajp, and Tomcat (native and Java). I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

--
Jess Holle