Hi,

This thread started (for whatever reason) on the private list as part of an unrelated discussion. The point is to see what could be improved to make Tomcat more suitable for shared hosting, which is a very nice goal, but unfortunately with very serious issues.

I don't see many improvements possibilities, as I consider the following solutions and problems (where each user would at least need its own vhost): - Every virtual host gets its own appBase folder. Having its own folder for JARs just won't work (or it means you were able to use the "shared" folder successfully, which I doubt). If you use the TOMCAT_HOME/TOMCAT_BASE stuff, each user can get its own "shared" folder. - There are still tons of JVMs to manage and monitor, which may be a problem. - If the connector should be shared, with the servlet containers running in separate processes, I don't see how to cross the process barrier except by going back to square one (httpd in front, with AJP and many JVMs/Tomcats, each with its own vhost).

Some general problems for production are:
- No self tuning of the JVM.
- No actual isolation, throttling capabilities, etc, provided by the JVM.
- Impossibility to control memory leaks (impossible to force discarding classloaders and all associated class defs and instances, for example). - Hard to do thread management (by that I mean, monitor and recover for threads stuck in loops or deadlocked).

Any ideas ?

I suppose native code could be used to improve the situation in some areas (although I don't know how to do it ;) ).

Rémy