Costin Manolache wrote:

What's the status with mod_proxy ?

I think Mladen idea is to make the same enhancements in mod_proxy (and I will try to help him :-)

It seems this kind of change would break backward compatibility, and if this happens - maybe it's better to fix the protocol marshalling limitations or
change it completely.
I hate the idea of patching an old and mostly broken marshalling model.

The only thing we still need is the alternating client/server role using a
single tcp connection. For the actual marshalling, there are plenty of
better choices - with more extensibility, self-describing, easy and fast to
parse, etc.
Examples:
- json
- http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/protocols/hessian-1.0-spec.xtp
- yaml.org
- wbxml if we want very compact representation

( every time someone is discussing extending AJP I feel the need to point
that ajp is a very old and not so well designed protocol, it was not
supposed to live that longer and there is no need for a proprietary,
tomcat-specific marshalling mechanism )

I realize that replacing the serialization code would be a large effort, but I think using a proper format, with existing implementations ( to allow easy
testing ) is far simpler than patching ajp and having all kind of
workarounds and tricks.

I am quite reluctant to use a new (for our community) protocol... I rememeber the WARP protocol years ago. Probably patching the old crapy protocol will have more success than doing a nice new thing :-(

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Costin