Rainer Jung wrote:
I'm OK with your change.

I think we should try to educate the users via doc, that they need to be careful when lowering these values to very small numbers. I don't know, if that's the right term, but the system needs some damping to keep it from switching very frequently between states. At least in most cases.

Correctly. 'Be careful' is a proper term.
If there is a direct link between mod_jk and Tomcat
the most OS-es will detect the broken link immediately.
However if you have a faulty firewall that does not
pass the FIN packets, then even the default 60 second
is less lower then a 240 second system default.

Regards,
Mladen.