Hi,

I have tested tomcat 9.0.0.M1 on Mac OSX EI Capitan.

The svn link seems broken to me:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcattags/TOMCAT_9_0_0_M1/

Instead, the following url is accessible:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_9_0_0_M1/

Environment:
Mac OSX, jdk 1.8.0_51, apr 1.5.2, tcnative 1.2.2, OpenSSL 1.0.2d 9 Jul 2015

Test Results:
All NIO/NIO2/APR test cases have successfully passed.

Test https + apr with openssl generated self-signed certificate: ok
Smoking test on servlet/jsp/websocket examples: ok
HTTP/2 server push feature on Chrome: ok

Test https + nio/nio2 with
sslImplementationName="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.OpenSSLImplementation"
 defined in connector
Smoking test on servlet/jsp/websocket examples: ok
HTTP/2 server push feature on Chrome: ok

Observations:
* lack of documentation of <UpgradeProtocol> element, should be in
config/http.html#Nested_Components
* deprecated documentation found on docs/ssl-howto.html:
Right now the doc says:
The APR connector uses different attributes for many SSL settings, particularly
keys and certificates. An example of an APR configuration is:
<!-- Define a SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->
<Connector
           protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol"
           port="8443" maxThreads="200"
           scheme="https" secure="true" SSLEnabled="true"
           SSLCertificateFile="/usr/local/ssl/server.crt"
           SSLCertificateKeyFile="/usr/local/ssl/server.pem"
           SSLVerifyClient="optional" SSLProtocol="TLSv1+TLSv1.1+TLSv1.2"/>
Since SSL configuration attributes in the Connector element is deprecated, it
should be replaced by configurations in SSLHostConfig element. At least, it
should be marked as deprecated.
* ${catalina.base} directory appears after running unit test case, it also
appeared in trunk, but never in tomcat8/tomcat7 trunk. I haven't looked into
it, but I guess there is some test which forgot to set the catalina.base system
property.
* in docs/ssl-howto.html, it might be better to provide an example of
generating self-signed certificate using openssl, what I am using is:
/usr/local/openssl/bin/openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout key.pem -out
cert.pem -days 365
* the documentation of docs/config/http.html#SSL_Support_-_SSLHostConfig looks
a little confused, it might be better to separate JSSE only and Openssl only
attributes.

Overall my conclusion is:
[ X ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 9.0.0.M1