I was gonna suggest a
worker.<workername>.reuse=True|False
This is a very minor, non intrusive change since jk_ajp_*.c already has a struct that has a reuse flag, and it respects it, the code currently hard codes it to true.

so people have the option to have non persistent connections.
Many folks want to use mod_jk, and don't mind the connection overhead for not reusing connections and some features like LB and *.jsp patterns are not available in httpd 1.3/2.0, so folks want jk there, so they can't switch to http.
Filip

Mladen Turk wrote:
Jim Jagielski wrote:
I and other have run into issues where the socket
between Apache and Tomcat (due to a in-between firewall)
isn't closed as it should be... I'm digging further into
this as far as why the timeout isn't being honored, but
it got me thinking that a "no reuse" option might be
nice. Basically, it prevents reuse from ever being set
to TRUE...

Makes no sense to me.
In that case user can use mod_proxy and http
protocol. AJP, or any other future protocol
like HTTP-NG/MUX
(http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP-NG/Activity.html)
that is designed to be persistent would always have
to deal with badly designed firewalls.

Anyhow, see my post about detecting the closed
socket on APR dev list. Think I'm close to the
portable solution, so this will satisfy almost
all AJP(or any persistent protocol)<->Firewall
related problems.

Regards,
Mladen.