Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
having mod_jk rely on the AJP packet from Tomcat to close a socket or not, is like saying the IE browser can't close the socket unless Apache httpd says so.

Quite opposite. Unlike http, ajp protocol is persistent,
and one side must (should) explicitly mark the graceful physical
connection closure. In other case the connection break is
considered as communication channel error, and must be treated
by the user as such (By that I mean checking the cause of
channel failure, etc).

One other similar thing is graceful socket closure, that
should be accompanied by the mod_jk sending extended
cping packet when the connection is going to be gracefully
closed by mod_jk, so that Tomcat can close its socket
gracefully without getting ConnectionClosedException.

The patch the Jim provided, gives us the functionality of turning off the keep alive from the "clients" (httpd in this case) perspective.

I do not agree, although its a hack and easy fix for
the problem itself.

Regards,
Mladen.