> Mark,
>
> On 3/1/16 5:12 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> To summarise where I think this discussion is going:
>>
>> - Create 8.5.x from 9.0.x with the following changes
>>   - revert all changes to spec APIs
>
> I would argue that anything that has been added (in TC9) can stay; only
> revert the removals and possibly any deprecations.

There are no removals.

The spec APIs have to be correct. Our spec API JARs are used in various
places and if we starting shipping a Servlet 3.1+ API we'll create the
potential to cause all sorts of problems.

>>   - make any necessary changes to work with Java 7
>>
>> - Release 8.0.x and 8.5.x in parallel for ~6 months then stop 8.0.x
>>   releases
>
> Does this have implications for whether or not we can claim
> spec-compatibility? Tomcat 8.5 would be
> servlet-3.1-except-for-that-Java-7-support-thing... so can we claim that
> Tomcat 8.5 officially supports the servlet 3.1 specification? Do we even
> care?

8.5 will be as spec compliant as 8.0.
- It will run on Java 7.
- The spec APIs will be identical between versions.
- It will, as far as we know, be compliant with all
  four specs it implements

We haven't had access to the TCK for quite some time. It is a useful
additional check that in an ideal world I'd like to have back but not
having it doesn't appear to be causing the project any harm.