Thanks for the pointer to org.apache.catalina.connector.RECYCLE_FACADES.  I
will try running our integration server with that set both ways and compare.

I don't see how an application bug could cause the same RequestFacade to be
passed to the webapp on two thread concurrently, however.  I'm not guessing
about that.  I added debugging code to my app and managed to stop in the
debugger, and I could see two http-nio-8080-exec- threads with the same
object.

Matt