On 12/12/17 13:41, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:

>> The first draft of this is up.
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Git+migration
>>
>> Please add any issues either directly to that page or this thread.
>
> 1. I suspect that existing pull requests / issues at GitHub will be lost.
>
> Maybe they will be kept for tomcat.git repository, but lost for all others.
>
> At least we need to be prepared for the loss.

Added to wiki with possible solution.

> 2. Maybe we need to further remove Tomcat from ReviewBoard.
>
> I think that it is somehow linked to the svn repository.
>
> A link from Tomcat site to it was removed in
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1799409
>
> https://reviews.apache.org/groups/tomcat/

Added to wiki with possible solution.

> 3. Document how to deal with single git repository locally.
>
> I guess that this is managed with "git worktree" command, but have
> never used it and need some guidance.

Added to the wiki. 'git worktree' is certainly one way of handling this.
I was leaning towards multiple clones myself but I hadn't really thought
about it much. Some research and discussion around options would be useful.

> 4. Update "building" documentation in Tomcat X.Y.
> Publish it? (Or wait for the next release, as usual.)
>
> Update repository documentation on the main site,
> http://tomcat.apache.org/svn.html

Added to wiki.

> A comment on migration script.
>
>> # Add Tomcat 8.5x
>> git remote add tomcat85 https://github.com/apache/tomcat85.git
>
> I think the final recipe should use ASF repository url here, instead
> of github one.

The plan is to switch to "github as master' which is actually a dual
master system where commits can be made directly to either github or the
ASF. I don't think it matter which we use. My (not recent) experience is
that github is faster.

>> # Make svn read only
>> # Turn off the svn / git mirror
>> # Switch to 'github as master'
>
> One need to check that recent svn commits have been successfully
> synced to git first, before stopping the mirroring. (With Tomcat 6.0.x
> I sometimes observed a delay of ~30 minutes.)

ACK. I'll add that to the list. (I can force an update if necessary.)

Thanks for the thorough review.