Thank you for sharing your screenshots.  I am not sure why that happened but
I will fix it.

The first thing that comes to mind is a cached CSS file, so I will rename
the file to make sure that that's not a factor.  It's a bit challenging that
I can't reproduce it on my system, but I will check on my Fedora laptop too.
That Firefox is run with a separate profile that I use for testing -
it has caching disabled.

Comparing eu/us mirrors, both are the same,
http://tomcat.eu.apache.org/
http://tomcat.us.apache.org/

What happens when you zoom out?

Looking for active css rules on the input element,

.searchbox input[type="search"], .searchbox button {
     height: 25px;
}

Why a "type" selector is here? Can it be more simple?
It can be just #query, as this input has an id.
Styling by ID instead of a class has other implications, primarily specificity [1], which makes projects styling harder to maintain.  I am unaware of any browser that has issue with that selector.  If there is then I can modify it.

Why the height is in pixels, not in font units?

There is a css rule for height (quoted above),  but there is no rule
for width of this input field.
(When size attribute not specified it should default to size="20", and
width depends on the actual font).
The width here came from the parent container.  I was unaware of any issues as all 4 browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE11) that I tested on rendered it correctly in my testing.

I will fix the known issues and submit a new patch.

Thank you,

Igal

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/Specificity