Michael,

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:53 AM Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2019-02-18 um 15:19 schrieb Igal Sapir:
> > <snip/>
> >
> > I actually prefer "tc8.5" and "tc7.0" for the branches (over "8.5.x" and
> > "7.0.x").  If tags will only use the numeric versions then this will make
> > it easy to differentiate between branches and tags.
>
> tc8.5 could also misread as 8.5 release. 8.5.x implies that this is in
> development. This a common scheme in many many repos.
> Where is the benefit keeping the prefix? Git autocompletion will stop at
> "8.5." and you choose either 'x' or a patch release.

If I want to switch branches, which is more often than switching to a tag
in my case, I would simply start with 't' without having to go through the
tags.

Having to go through the tag options when I actually want to switch to a
branch is inefficient.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care much which ones have a 'tc' prefix
(branches) and which do not (tags), I just like that there is a difference
between branches and tags.

Igal