Am 2019-02-20 um 17:44 schrieb Mark Thomas:
On 20/02/2019 16:14, Igal Sapir wrote:
Michael,

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:53 AM Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org> wrote:

Am 2019-02-18 um 15:19 schrieb Igal Sapir:
<snip/>

I actually prefer "tc8.5" and "tc7.0" for the branches (over "8.5.x" and
"7.0.x").  If tags will only use the numeric versions then this will make
it easy to differentiate between branches and tags.

tc8.5 could also misread as 8.5 release. 8.5.x implies that this is in
development. This a common scheme in many many repos.
Where is the benefit keeping the prefix? Git autocompletion will stop at
"8.5." and you choose either 'x' or a patch release.

If I want to switch branches, which is more often than switching to a tag
in my case, I would simply start with 't' without having to go through the
tags.

Having to go through the tag options when I actually want to switch to a
branch is inefficient.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care much which ones have a 'tc' prefix
(branches) and which do not (tags), I just like that there is a difference
between branches and tags.

This got me thinking about how many key pressed would actually be
required for branches

Case A:
Branches: 7.0.x, 8.5.x, master
Tags: 7.0.11, 8.5.20, 9.0.12 etc.

git checkout [7|8|m]<tab>
master then auto-completes
7.0.x and 8.5.x get to "7.0." and "8.5." respectively and need a further
"x" to complete.

So that makes (ignoring the "git checkout ") 2 key presses for master
and 3 for 7.0.x or 8.5.x

Case B:
Branches: tc7.0.x, tc8.5.x, master
Tags: 7.0.11, 8.5.20, 9.0.12 etc.

git checkout [t|m]<tab>
master then auto-completes
7.0.x and 8.5.x both get to "tc" and need a further "7" or "8" and <tab>
to complete.

So that makes (ignoring the "git checkout ") 2 key presses for master
and 4 for 7.0.x or 8.5.x

Of course there are complications to this:
- I suspect most developers will be using worktrees
- keypresses are probably less important than how the GUIs of our
   preferred tools handles this

In a GUI it will show how clearly what is a branch or a tag. There shouldn't be any ambiguity.

I think this comes down to whether it is worth using a prefix (tc) to
(more clearly) differentiate release branches and tags in those places
where the two appear together.

To put it another way:

Is "9.0.5 vs tc9.0.x" clearer than "9.0.5 vs 9.0.x"? And if it is, do we
want that additional clarity?

Fo me, it looks inconsistent. "9.0.5 vs 9.0.x" clearly says that the former is a fixed version whereas the latter is a moving target in 9.0.

I'd clearly opt for simplicity.

Michael