вт, 26 февр. 2019 г. в 21:24, Igal Sapir <i...@lucee.org>:

> Mark,
>
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 4:33 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/tomcat
> >
> > is now ready for testing.
> >
> > It should contain:
> > branches
> > - master (9.0.x)
> > - 8.5.x
> > - 7.0.x
> >

> What are the plans for the tomcat-site?  [...]

Igal,

If you look at a *-fulldocs.tar.gz file with full documentation that
accompanies each Tomcat release,
you'll find that e.g. for Tomcat 9.0.16 its unpacked size is 60 Mb,
with 2385 files in 165 directories.

The full tomcat.apache.org site contains such documentation for every
major version of Tomcat. See all directories listed ar
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/site/trunk/docs/

With Subversion it is easy to work with that, using "sparse checkout"
feature. The relevant commands are documented in site's README file.

With some googling, it seems that Git also has some sparse checkout
support [1], but I am not sure whether it is as easy to use as this
feature in Subversion.

(How does one manage the checkout layout? Is there a better way to
update the ".git/info/sparse-checkout" file rather than having to edit
it by manually? In Subversion the checkout depth can be changed easily
with "svn update --set-depth" command).

If people really want to use git for the site, I think the first step
it to create a Git mirror for the current site repository and to see
whether it is usable.

At this point, I think that Subversion is better tool for managing the
site. I do not expect much from Git.

[1] https://briancoyner.github.io/2013/06/05/git-sparse-checkout.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko