Igal,

On 4/29/19 14:52, Igal Sapir wrote:
> Chris,
>
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 12:08 PM Christopher Schultz <
> ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

>> Igal,

>>> So one needs to consider whether that added layer of complexity
>>> is worth the savings of 30M disk space, even when multiplied
>>> over 3 branches. Imagine the reclaimed space after deleting the
>>> local SVN directories ;)
>>
>> For Tomcat 8.5.x @ r1852558:
>>
>> $ du -hs .svn/ 41M    .svn/
>>

> Are you sure that you have the whole history there?  I am working
> ATM on my Ubuntu workstation where I have a copy of the Tomcat 8.5
> SVN.  The disk usage is mostly in the tags directory and not in the
> .svn:
>
> ux@u18:/workspace/src/tc8.5.x$ du -sh tags 1.2G    tags
> ux@u18:/workspace/src/tc8.5.x$ du -sh .svn 231M    .svn
> ux@u18:/workspace/src/tc8.5.x$ du -sh . 1.5G    .

Oh, heavens no. Checking-out the root of a project in svn is almost
never a good idea. I've literally never checked-out /svn/[project]. I
always check-out /svn/[project]/trunk or /svn/[project]/tags/[branch].
Never even in private repositories, for the same reason: there is no
reason ever to grab every tag and branch ever onto your own disk.

Subversion is efficient on the server-side, but the client is dumb and
will happily duplicate everything.

> Each "tag" takes about 35MB:
>
> ux@u18:/workspace/src/tc8.5.x$ du -sh tags/TOMCAT_8_5_25 35M
> tags/TOMCAT_8_5_25 ux@u18:/workspace/src/tc8.5.x$ du -sh
> tags/TOMCAT_8_5_24 35M    tags/TOMCAT_8_5_24
> ux@u18:/workspace/src/tc8.5.x$ du -sh tags/TOMCAT_8_5_23 34M
> tags/TOMCAT_8_5_23

Yeah, you should never have grabbed those. It was a waste of time and
disk space (and back-up time and disk space).

- -chris