On 23/03/2020 09:37, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at the TODO list, in addition to some extra items. In order ...
>
> - Java 11.
> I suppose Jakarta EE 9 will require Java 11, is Java 11 [going to be]
> required for Tomcat 10 ? It could be better to do it in 10.1.

No. It will be Java 8.

> - Remove the use of system properties to control configuration wherever
> possible.
> I still don't see the point for quite a few of them. For others however,
> using sys props was a mistake, example the facade recycling. Also, the
> digester can now pull from system and env properties, giving full
> flexibility. Also also, this is a handy way to do things in cloud. I
> think we should target the ones which should make sense.

For "wherever possible" read "where it makes sense to do so". My
intention was to target those system properties that were targetted at a
specific component and could/should be configured there.

> - Reduce instances of setters and getters for the same property existing
> on an object and its parent. This may require new objects to be exposed
> via JMX.
> Fixed enough ?

>From memory, this was primarily on the Connectors. That is certainly a
lot better. I'd like to review things before closing this one out.

> - Remove APR connector.
> Is there still general approval for that, and is that still the plan for
> Tomcat 10.0 ?

It feels like a big step but I do think this is the right thing to do.

> - Clean-up content-type header processing.
> No opinion on that.

It fixes an edge case bug. I have a plan for this. As long as it is done
before things go stable there is no rush.

> - RFC 3986 states (section 2.2) that a %nn encoded delimiter is NOT
> equivalent to the decoded form. Provide an option not to decode
> delimiters in %nn form.
> Mark is working on it.

I'm close to a patch for this but I got distracted with HTTP/0.9 issues.

> - Refactor DefaultServlet to use Ranges in parseRanges().
> I looked at it and I don't get it.
> In particular the Content-Ranges header
> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7233#section-4.2) that uses
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/master/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/http/parser/ContentRange.java#L75
> The parser here requires a '=' but that should be a space in
> content-range (ranges uses the '=' however), the example given in the
> spec is "Content-Range: bytes 42-1233/1234".
> Just wondering before starting to refactor.

That is the response header, not the request header. Take a look at
sections 2.1 and 3.1