On 12/09/2020 22:56, Filip Hanik wrote:

> On 9/10/20, 01:17, "Mark Thomas" <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     It looks like at least one of the specs Tomcat implements, Servlets, is
>     going to have at least one release between Jakarta EE 9 / Servlet 5.0 /
>     Tomcat 10.0 and Jakarta EE 10/ Servlet 6.0 / Tomcat 10.1
>
>     The current plan is for Servlet 5.1 to add same site cookie
>     configuration and pick up any other low hanging fruit (mostly clean-up &
>     clarification) from the issues list.
>
>     I'm currently trying to figure out what this means in terms of Tomcat
>     releases. It may be that other specs do something similar. If enough
>     specs do that, it may turn into a relatively quick Jakarta EE 10.
>
>     My current thinking is treat such releases the way we used to treat
>     maintenance releases of the specs. That would mean updating Tomcat to
>     the 5.1 release once available but not change in major or minor version.
>     Another way of looking at it is that Tomcat 10.0.x will support the
>     latest released version of Servlet 5.x and Tomcat 10.1.x will support
>     the latest released version of Servlet 6.x.
>
> Sounds good. Should we go to 10.5 rather than 10.1? While the numbers don't
> mean much, we haven't had anything but .0 and .5 in a fairly long time.

The choice of version number of somewhat arbitrary. There were several
iterations of numbering scheme before we settled on this one.

For reference:
https://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/fzty4ymric7waw2s
https://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/isa6m53zv6rugebb

10.1.x vs 10.5.x wasn't explicitly discussed (that I can recall or can
find). Historically (5.5.x and 8.5.x) we have used the x.5.y releases to
indicate a major refactoring and discontinuing support for x.0.y
releases. That is slightly different from what is proposed for 10.0.x
and 10.1.x.