On 8/10/22 06:02, Mark Thomas wrote:

Agreed. I also spotted that adding "do.codesigning=true" would help repeatable builds. I'll get both of those added.

I don't think we want that to affect people trying to perform their own builds. It will fail every time, right? I have do.codesigning=true in ~/build.properties which should be sufficient for Tomcat release managers.

It shouldn't fail. I was thinking of adding "do.codesigning=true" in build.properties.release. The builds are repeatable (assuming the timezone issue is fixed) so inserting the detached signature should work.

2. Require UTC.

Can that be done on the CLI for a single process on Windows? It will likely work for *NIX no problem. I use a semi-dedicated Windows VM for building releases, so I have no problem just switching it to UTC.

I'm not sure. Figuring that out is next on my TODO list. I'd really like to make this part of the Ant build script if I can though.

+1

I also really need to switch to building natively on my Mac because the whole VM thing is really cramping my style. :)

That should be doable. From memory, wine required a little hoop jumping to get working but it didn't take too long.

It's the wine thing that's really stopping me. Ironically, I already have Crossover (which is paid-for wine) installed and it would be nice it I could just use that, but my guess is it would be enough of a PITA to get working that I should just install Vanilla wine and use that.

You might be surprised. The hassle (for me) was getting the initial configuration right to run wine in 64-bit mode on MacOS. The build "just worked". I was pleasantly surprised when I was working on repeatable builds that used wine on Linux to find that the NSIS output was identical with no configuration tweaks required.

3. Find a way to force Ant to use a specific timezone.

-Duser.timezone?

That should work. We could require that to be used on the command line. I was hoping to find a way to set that within the script so the release manager still just has to do a "ant release".

Put it in pre-release, and stash it into build.properties.release?

Agreed. I'm trying to figure out exactly what to put in there.