On 18/08/2022 13:21, Graham Leggett wrote:
On 18 Aug 2022, at 06:57, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Have you considered migrating from Bugzilla to GitHub Issues?

I think co-locating issues, code, and PRs at GitHub would make it easier to
browse both issues and code.

-1.

GitHub as a service is hosted by someone else, who are in no way obligated to
keep the service running for our benefit. Hosted services come and go
regularly, and it is an enormous waste of time and effort for people to perform
avoidable migrations each time this happens.

We mirror to Github because Github did the work to make that happen. It’s great
that they did that, but support could be withdrawn at any time and without
warning.

The ASF wrote the GitBox <-> GitHub synchronization code as there wasn't anything available that would allow us to keep an independent ASF repo in sync with a GitHub repo and allow commits to either. It was that sync code that opened up the possibility of commits to AS projects via GitHub.

There is also the problem that hosting issue tracking at GitHub requires users to sign up for a GitHub account and agree to GitHub's Ts&Cs in order to report an issue. There are a small number of users that are not prepared to do that.

There are benefits and risks associated with switching to issue tracking at GitHub. We need to weigh the one against the other.

As an experiment, we are tracking Migration Tool issues on GitHub. It is a small tool so there are only a few issues and limited data. I haven't seen anything yet that convinces me that there is a strong argument for or against using GitHub issues. If the Tomcat Maven plugin project starts to show signs of life, we could try migrating its issues to GitHub as a larger experiment.