On 11/01/2023 11:38, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 12:23 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

<snip/>

The target date for Jakarta EE 11 is Q1 2024. Given that there are no
Java 21 features we want to use in Tomcat 11 right now I suggest we wait
until we need to build Tomcat 11 with Java 21 to decide what to do.
Worst case, we'll need to build most branches with Java 21 and 8.5.x
with Java 17 until 8.5.x reaches EOL (31 March 2024).

If Java 21 is the baseline, I would like to propose to drop
tomcat-native from Tomcat 11 and replace it with Panama. This is of
course assuming Panama is non preview in 21, and this also needs to
wait for some time (probably until June).

Just playing devils advocate for a second, is Java 21 going to be too big a leap for the majority of users? Might the Tomcat community be better with Java 17 as the minimum version for Tomcat 11?

Personally, I am in favour of Java 21 for Tomcat 11. There is always Tomcat 10.1x for those that don't want to / can't move to Java 21. But I did at least want to ask the question in case my views are in the minority.