On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 1:19 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> I tried switching the CI over to use Java 17 last night. This exposed an
> unexpected Javadoc behaviour that is currently breaking the 9.0.x and
> 8.5.x builds.
>
> Ant is configured to run Javadoc with failonwarning="true"
>
> When running the Javadoc task with Java 17:
>
> - if source="11" (Tomcat 10.1.x and 11.0.x) no warnings are generated
>    regarding SecurityManager use
>
> - if source="8" (Tomcat 9.0.x) warnings are generated for
>    SecurityManager use
>
> - if source="7" (Tomcat 8.5.x) warnings are generated for
>    SecurityManager use
>
> I don't understand why the warning generation is only generated for
> older source values. It would make more sense to me if it were only
> generated for newer values.

Yes, ok, that looks very odd ...

> Possible options:
> - only use Java 17 for 11.0.x builds
> - use failonwarning="false"

Yes please. If you remember, I sent an update earlier on Javadoc 18+.
There will now be some warnings that will make it counterproductive
for us (in particular, having to have an empty constructor on
everything just so that it can be javadoc-ed). We should keep the
setting around however to see how these things evolve, maybe it would
be improved/fixed eventually ...

Rémy