Hi,

Taking into account the feedback I got, here is the plan for using
Panama in Tomcat:
- No official support for Panama preview APIs (from 17 or 21). For
these two, I will leave the sources in "modules". Users should be able
to build the support fairly easily.
- Once Panama is non preview (this may be delayed again, so maybe not
in Java 22), I will add support for it in the main source tree. The
main javac call that will keep on using --release 21 will exclude
these new classes. There will be a new javac call using --release 2X
to compile these, and these will then be packaged in a separate JAR.
As a result, when trying to use Panama on Java 21, there will also be
a simple class version error that is easy to understand.
- The minimum Java version to compile Tomcat 11 would then be updated
from 21 to 2X.
- Assuming 2X isn't too far away, this could be fully sorted out
before Tomcat 11 gets out of the milestone releases.

I considered other options, but (unsurprisingly) the --release flag
cannot be used to target past preview API versions (javac error on
Java 21 when trying: "preview language features are only supported for
release 21"). So any other plan would require multiple Java versions
to build Tomcat 11 and would likely be unsustainable long term.

On other news, Java 21 (with Panama preview) seems to be going along
just fine, eta in September.

Any further comments ?

Rémy