Jess Holle wrote:
Tim Funk wrote:
11.Timestamps & System.currentTimeMillis
System.currentTimeMillis is invoked everywhere during the chain of events for a HTTP requests, even though most dates only need precision down to the second. I've received feedback that this could be improved by keeping a time service, that updates a timestamp every second, and therefor reduces the number of system calls I think we would need to prove the theory before committing to the implementation, but that should be pretty easy
System.currentTimeMillis() is *very* fast. [System.nanoTime() is not necessarily and can be relatively slow on some hardware.]

Many algorithms used to format System.currentTimeMillis() into a human readable date format are fairly slow. I'm not sure what Tomcat is currently using here, but that would be the only thing I'd be concerned about. It would seem sufficient just to make sure this conversion is efficient and/or not called with any ridiculous frequency.
good info, all we use is the millis version, then we don't need to worry about it

Filip

--
Jess Holle