I have a strong feeling this is turning again into a debate over words,
arcane details
and abstract concepts ( 'what is a trunk' and how to increase innovation )

The real issue is quite simple, and not having a trunk or all the new
process seems
more like an attempt to solve it:

We want tomcat evolution to be done by consensus or at least majority, not
by one
individual ( be it Remy or Filip or anyone else ) making decisions and
changes to the core API without
consultation and agreement from others ( and yes, most vetoes are probably
invalid and
bad - the changes are technically ok, and the veto is a blunt tool to
express lack of consensus
and frustration ).

The whole veto / remove trunk / personal hurt feelings / CTR / RTC / process
debate
is just a way to avoid this from happening.

Yes, we want innovation and change and contributions and all that - but that
doesn't mean
that anyone who can make a technically valid change ( i.e. where a veto
would be invalid )
should make it - if it affects other people and it lacks consensus.

That doesn't mean you can't add features ( to 6.0 or trunk or however you
want to call it ), or you
can't make big changes, or someone can block 'progress' or impose his own
vision of progress.
All those proposals evolve around how to involve more people in decision
making and be as close
to consensus as possible.

I personally consider tomcat way overbloated - so I think I'm on the same
side with Remy on voting against
adding any new feature that could be done as a plugin, and I would be happy
to see 'innovations'
in tomcat removed from std and moved to separate plugins, until we're at the
same size with jetty
or other containers in the base distro. But I do understand Filip's
frustration and the desire to try now
things - and this should happen, not in sandbox but in 6.0  tree, except not
in the core and with
controlled API changes.

Costin