Rainer Jung wrote:
Hi Jean-Frederic,

jean-frederic clere wrote:
Hi,

What is the goal of tomcat-oacc exactly.
1 - Replace the actual tc-trunk cluster.

No.

2 - Port the tc-5.5.x code and have an alternate cluster.

Yes, reason for alternate see below.

3 - Just a try for the fun.

That would be fine as well, but the goal is more than simply that.

In the svn mkdir commit note I wrote:

------
The sandbox provides a port of TC 5.5 cluster for
Tomcat 6 in order to ease Tomcat 6 migration for webapps
using Tomcat 5.5 cluster. Using OACC users can first
switch to TC 6 with the same cluster configuration and
later migrate to the very different HA/Tribes cluster.
------

In my experience, cluster users which really have a critical app running, hesitate to switch to a completely different cluster implementation. On the other hand they might want to move on to Tomcat 6.
I've not run into this scenario, customer's were actually happy to switch, as it provided them with much more flexibility.

OACC provides an easy way of doing a two step migration. Go to Tomcat 6 (which in its core parts is not too different from 5.5) and then test the new HA/Tribes cluster.

I'm right now in the process of adding the usual text files (release notes, running etc.) which should express this idea. Should be done in a few minutes.

At the moment OACC is only a sandbox. If it looks good (functionality and stability) - which my first tests seem to indicate - then I would propose an optional extra download for TC 6 containing OACC. Filip's cluster has the bigger potential and should stay the default automatically contained in each download of TC 6, s.t. cluster newbies directly start with that one. But for users having a running TC 5.5 cluster I think it's nice - and necessary - to provide the OACC alternative.
if this is for migration, why not provide a migration document instead. the only difference between 5.5 and 6.0 is the messaging and membership mechanism, which are fairly broken in 5.5. The actual session replication code is the same, but more bug fixes, in 6.0.

if there is something lacking in 6.0 that you have in 5.5, then I would add that to 6 instead of doing this effort you're doing now.

Filip