I'm not an expert, but I think I can tell you that yes, "hello world"
applications can be upgraded without stopping, real
applications can't.

As long as you use sessions or statics or you make config changes -
you have to restart the webapp.
OSGI is good of having 2 versions of a bundle running at the same time
- but it won't help you much, the servlet
engine needs to know where to send the requests, it has no clue a
request should go to the old version or the new.

Costin