On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, David Jencks wrote:

> Are they planning to support "gapless" redeployment of web apps using only
> osgi features, with no other servlet container support?  If so is can you
> point to an explanation of how they plan to do this?

Since this requires state mutation (see the hooks that an Erlang OTP
application will supply for state upgrade, for instance) there won't be
a "no other hooks" version, I think :-)

This is doable (I've done it, but only as a proof of concept - as
pointed out, this is a long way away from a robust real-world approach)
but typically the applications we're redeploying for real here can (a)
stand a little downtime, or (b) can use staggered upgrades across a
cluster of app servers, (c) often come hand-in-hand with out-of-app DB
schema changes, and (d) consequently don't merit the huge effort
required to make this work.

--
jan grant, ISYS, University of Bristol. http://www.bris.ac.uk/
Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/