I still don't understand why don't you just ship 2 config files, or even
change the defaults and just
provide a config that restores old values.
But it looks like a reasonable plan - next step will be to ship 1.2.28,
label it - and branch if you want
( branches are cheap if you don't plan to do a lot of work in them ), add
the new features to trunk
and we can probably postpone the naming of the release after 1.2.28 until
it's ready :-)

Thanks for all the information and work you're doing, it's good to know what
are the plans.

Costin