Is there a policy on how we store localized files?

The file java/org/apache/catalina/manager/LocalStrings_es.properties
appears mostly to be ASCII characters but it has a few 16-bit unicode chars stuck in it, which then get interpreted as 2 8-bit chars because there is no Unicode
mark at the top of the file.

For example the file contains, on line 33, the Spanish word for configuration as

Configuraci\u00F3n <- 14 characters including a null "byte"

It should be

ConfiguraciĆ³n <-- 13 chars, hopefully you have the fonts to see this and no mailer wrecks it

that is, the "f3" character is in as a single byte.

I believe that Eclipse wrecks properties files in just this way if you make the mistake
of editing them in Eclipse, but I don't know if that's what happened here.