On 03/10/2010 11:10 PM, Costin Manolache wrote:
You want to have each webapp served by a different process ?
Or even different versions of a webapp in a different process ?

First goal is to get rid of connectors and use Tomcat
directly inside httpd or IIS or new Commons Runtime
(replacing Tomcat Native and Daemon) I'm working on.

Second is to have application pools where one could
say: Serve WebAppX inside Default Application Pool
consisting of 1 ... N processes or use Custom Application
pool with some process limitation factors (memory, cpu usage, etc)

Third goal is to allow graceful restarts which would
allow to reconfigure the entire VM or redeploy the
application without down time.
Those kind of things is done nowadays by using some sort
of clustering where each node actually behaves like one
of Httpd's child processes.

First thing I'm going to do is the thorough analysis
of what actually happens under the hood during different
engine life stages and see what resources might require
the synchronization or cross-process sharing and
how to do that.

I know it might sound very complex, but it's actually
doing what Tomcat is suppose to do (be a servlet engine),
so perhaps Tomcat Light would fit in that story.

Regards
--
^TM