On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 14/09/2010 12:12, Wesley Acheson wrote:
>> This was a bug which Mark made a request to the user mailing list to look at.
>>
>> Okay I think I've got some information on this. I've put a comment in
>> the bug showing where I "believe" the behaviour to be wrong. What's
>> the next step on this?
>
> You need to be able to quote the section of the spec that demonstrates
> it is wrong. Having quickly scanned the 2.5 and 3.0 specs I think you
> are going to find that there is no clear definition of whether filters
> are processed before or after welcome files. Currently, Tomcat handles
> welcome files first.
>
> If you can find some spec language that requires filters to be processed
> before welcome files, the bug is valid. If you can't it is "won't fix"
> and I'll add clarifying the order to my list of issues to raise with the
> EG for Servlet 3.1
>
> Mark

I haven't found it. What I did find is

"When processing a <filter-mapping> element using the <url-pattern> style, the
container must determine whether the <url-pattern> matches the request URI
using the path mapping rules defined in Chapter 12, “Mapping Requests to
Servlets”.
The order the container uses in building the chain of filters to be
applied for a
particular request URI is as follows:
1. First, the <url-pattern> matching filter mappings in the same order
that these
elements appear in the deployment descriptor."

Chapter 12 doesn't seem to explicitly state that the request is before
our after welcome files. However I feel that it is implied that the
request that is matched is the actual request. It depends if you look
at it like a request object or if request is the human understood term
in that chapter. What it defiantly does state that a mapping of ""
matches the root of the application "/*" maps to any request "" maps
to the root request. Which should seem to be covered in the spec.

"Use of URL Paths
Upon receipt of a client request, the Web container determines the Web
application
to which to forward it. The Web application selected must have the
longest context
path that matches the start of the request URL. The matched part of
the URL is the
context path when mapping to servlets."

Its your call.

Wes