On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Wesley Acheson
<wesley.ache...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 12:26 +0100, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> You need to be able to quote the section of the spec that demonstrates
>>> it is wrong. Having quickly scanned the 2.5 and 3.0 specs I think you
>>> are going to find that there is no clear definition of whether filters
>>> are processed before or after welcome files. Currently, Tomcat handles
>>> welcome files first.
>>>
>>> If you can find some spec language that requires filters to be processed
>>> before welcome files, the bug is valid. If you can't it is "won't fix"
>>> and I'll add clarifying the order to my list of issues to raise with the
>>> EG for Servlet 3.1
>>
>> Welcome files was never specified as a forward in the first place, since
>> that's what the user expects to some extent. Similarly, welcome files
>> without a physical file has also been an area with disagreements.
>>
>> Rémy
>>

> Its not a "Forward" filter anyway. Its a "Request" filter, also note
> my testing may not have matched the origional reporters situation. (I
> had welcome files defined and the file existed). He may have been
> using a servlet for all I know.  Its not specified.
>
> Wes

Just a friendly nudge I'm not looking into this any further because I
don't know what the correct behaviour is. The servlet documentation
isn't clear as stated. I feel I lean the other way than Mark in that I
think the bug is valid. However unless someone wants to confirm that
its valid I don't want to spend any more time on it, pointless to
spend time on something that's going to be rejected anyway.

Wes