Hello,

2011/12/18 jean-frederic clere <jfcl...@gmail.com>:
> On 12/17/2011 07:55 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I am of the view "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If there
>> was something we would gain by switching to Maven then I'd be interested
>> but given we have an established build process with Ant that a number of
>> committers are familiar with and that I'm not aware of any benefits of
>> moving to Maven then I don't see any compelling reason to switch.
>

> Using Maven would allow us to remove build.properties.default and download
> task that information would go in pom.xml. We can cut Tomcat in module more
> easily.
> The other thing is that Maven seems a more active project that Ant so we new
> feature easy and most IDE allow to import Maven project in IDE workspace.
>
> The problem of Maven is that we have to change the structure of our
> repository I think that the only problem.
I have started something here [1] which doesn't change the structure.
in tc7, just try mvn clean install -f maven/pom.xml (maven artifacts
will be installed)

BTW it's only a workaround to not change the structure and certainly
doesn't fix any issue with ide (and btw there are a lot things to fix
in this test)
I have started that but not continuing effort due to lack of interest.
It was really a start to produce maven artifacts needed by maven
plugin and was more easy to test with SNAPSHOTs build for me.

The question  regarding changing build system is complicated: as you
tomcat core devs prefers ant why moving ?

At least for introducing more modularity, why rebuilding everything
every time ( what is the need to always rebuild jdbc pool module
whereas nothing has changed: this module could have an independent
release cycle as it's a library which can be used outside of tomcat
container).
As the embed api in 7 is pretty cool and available in maven
repositories, I'm sure more and more maven users will use it.
So using maven could be gain here, as hackers/users will probably want
to try provide patch (fixes or new feature) and without a maven build
they probably won't do it...

BTW if you decide to do/change something, as I have a bit of maven
knowledge, let me know if I can help.

> Cheers
>
> Jean-Frederic

Olivier Lamy