> Exactly. Since any change would require a learning curve
> and it seems we don't have that many (read none) maven
> experts in the house, Gradle could be equally considered,
> given that it seems more advanced in customization.

I know well Maven but Olivier (Lamy) is a Maven expert, so there is
friend in the business.
And there is a full Maven PMC not too far ready to provide advices and help.
Not counting Tomcat consumers ASF projects like OpenEJB.

> E.g I know that Hibernate switched from Maven to Gradle
> just because maven

Why not.
BTW, how many projects moved from Maven to Gradle in JBoss ?

> But then we are back at original question.
> What's the benefit and do we have a problem that
> cannot be done using existing technology?

Why using another technology ?
Damn't, that's a question I would expect everywhere except on an ASF
developer list.

Advantages to use Maven have been mentioned many time on tomcat-dev,
and I recalled a few on this thread.