On 17.01.2012 02:15, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
2012/1/17 Mark Thomas<ma...@apache.org>:
On 16/01/2012 19:04, Sylvain Laurent wrote:

On 16 janv. 2012, at 10:44, Rainer Jung wrote:

1) Unit test failure due to missing target directory in src dist

I noticed that test/webapp-3.0-virtual-library/target is missing from the src
dist. So when rebuilding from src dist and running unit tests, I get a failure
in TestVirtualContext, because some resource which is usually retrieved form
the target dir is missing:

Testcase: testVirtualClassLoader took 7.434 sec
        FAILED
expected:<200>  but was:<404>
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<200>  but was:<404>
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.TestVirtualContext.assertPageContains(TestVirtualContext.java:302)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.TestVirtualContext.assertPageContains(TestVirtualContext.java:294)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.TestVirtualContext.testVirtualClassLoader(TestVirtualContext.java:100)

AFAIK the root cause is, that we exclude **/target/** in the ant target
dist-source from being copied.

Note that there is also test/webapp-3.0-virtual-library/target.

I don't know, whether we can simply drop this exclude, or should rename the
directory. I CC'd Sylvain explicitely, maybe he can comment on it.

If there are no side effect to dropping this exclude, you may do it (I really
don't know enough of the build system of tomcat).
Otherwise I can rename those directories so that it is not excluded. Just let
me know.

If I recall correctly, those directories are excluded because some IDEs
use that name by default. If you could rename them that would be great.

Not IDEs, but Maven. It writes its output into directories named
"target", in each of its modules. (I guess that is not configurable,
grr...)

That is why "target" was present in .gitignore when it was first added,
[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1187740

This fault is a combination of mine
[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1204938

that applied patterns from gitignore to src distribution and of Sylvain's
[3] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1209731

when Sylvain removed that line from ".gitignore"
and used that name in his commit.

I am generally in favor of using more targeted patterns in "dist-source" target,
(That is, comment out "**/target/**" for now, with a comment that we
use that name,
and add the same comment to .gitignore
and later exclude more specific patterns when a need comes)
but consider if one of developers used Maven to work on something in modules.

Done in r1232345 (trunk) and r1232346 (tc7).

Currently modules/jdbc-pool and modules/tomcat-lite have pom.xml,
though svn:ignore property on those directories does not list "target"
as excluded.

Regards,

Rainer