All,

I've been doing some memory profiling on my webapp to see where I can
reduce our memory footprint a bit by combining equivalent objects.
YourKit has some nice utilities to look for duplicate objects --
especially Strings.

I can see that the string "java.lang.String" has lots of duplicates.
Many of the ones I've inspected so far can be traced-back to
catalina.mbeans.MBeanUtils and the registry of MBeans that it contains.

Would anyone object to using String-interning to share copies of class
names for MBeans? I could even restrict such interning to Strings that
start with "java.lang" since those are probably the most-used ones, and
those strings are probably already interned by all the RTTI
infrastructure in the JVM anyway.

-chris