On Aug 7, 2013, at 2:41 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> For trunk we have been running a policy of zero warnings in the code.
> This has helped to highlight issues as code is edited as any warnings
> are immediately clear. Obviously, this depends on what warnings are enabled.
>
> Currently, we use Eclipse's "Ignore unavoidable generic type problems."
> Recently a couple of issues has been highlighted with this:
> 1. Other IDEs might not have this setting.
> 2. javac does not have this setting
> 3. Some of the problems Eclipse excludes are avoidable (well, sort of
> avoidable as avoiding them requires using JRE methods that themselves
> have @SuppressWarnings annotations).
>
> In favour of the current situation is that it reduces clutter in the
> code base slightly.
>
> While I am all for reducing clutter in the code base, there do appear to
> be good reasons for disabling the "Ignore unavoidable generic type
> problems." and using @SuppressWarnings instead.
>
> Personally, I am happy with the current settings but not unhappy to
> change. I guess that makes me +0 on changing. What does everyone else think?

(Non-binding)

As stated earlier, I am fundamentally opposed to the concept of using an
IDE-specific setting to decide how a project writes code. This practically
forces all developers to use that IDE exclusively for that project. If I'm
writing Tomcat code in IntelliJ IDE and I create a warning, I have no idea
whether I should correct the warning or not, because I have no idea what
Eclipse has to say about it.

I do, however, know that the warning will show up when I compile, and I think
that's what matters most. We should make efforts to eliminate all warnings that
show up when we compile, whether Eclipse calls them "unavoidable" or not.

My $0.02.

Nick