Mark,

I do now see the behavior which you described, but with the NIO connector:
There the browser is the one which closes the connection (probably due to a
data corruption).

E.g. when redirecting IE and make it stop to read incoming data for ~ 30
seconds, then make it to continue reading, IE will display (translated from
german): "SCRIPT12152: WebSocket Error: Network Error 12152, The server sent an
invalid or unknown reply" and reset the TCP connection.

When I tried this with FF, it first seemed that here Tomcat was the one which
initiated a normal TCP shutdown, but on more debugging it seems that Firefox
stopped at some point to process the received messages and then sent something
like a Websocket Close message so that Tomcat closes the connection (when
pausing the Firefox -> Tomcat connection prior to unpausing Tomcat -> Firefox
direction, Tomcat continues to send data).

When trying with APR, I keep seeing that Tomcat initates the connection
shutdown.

With BIO, the problems don't occur.

Hope this helps,

Regards,