What is interesting is that after this happens and I telnet to the server for
manually sending a request, then every (2n)th TCP connection works (Tomcat
replies and closes the connection after the 20s timeout), but every (2n + 1)th
connection does not work (there Tomcat does not respond and is never
half-closing the connection).

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer